GIS based platform GeorbIS role in solving soil and water conservation problems
GeorbIS – 3D Geospatial Platform
- GeorbIS®, is VizExperts’ flagship software product, which enables geospatial intelligence driven decision making for organizations working with large amounts of data.
- OGC® (Open Geospatial Consortium) Certified product
- Provides native support for 3D GIS data visualization, analysis and multi-data fusion.
- Provides stand-alone desktop based systems as well as server based enterprise level systems
- Offers modular extensions called CartridGIS that provide advanced application-specific functionality
- In addition to the core GeorbIS product, VizExperts’ Systems Integration & IT Consulting division undertakes further customizations, application software development and turnkey project execution on top of the GeorbIS platform.
- Customers include various DRDO labs, ISRO centers, BARC, Indian Army, Police, Paramilitary Forces, among others.
- DGS&D Rate Contract: The GeorbIS® product line, including its supporting modules, are available on the DGS&D rate contract.
Uses of GIS – Soil and Water Management
Soil Mapping – GIS offers uniform mapping of India level soil related data and parameters to create and manage soil maps for distribution to sister concern organizations and institutes. The digital maps are held in a large database, storing information about the variations of soil type across the land.
Soil Moisture – GIS is used to capture available soil (soil texture, porosity), land cover (vegetation type, LAI, Fraction of Greenness), and atmospheric data (Albedo) in standardized vector and raster GIS data formats at multiple scales, in addition to climatological forcing data and precipitation to predict the soil moisture.
Water Retention Capacity – Determining water retention capacity for different type of soils and topographic characteristics is an important requirement which is fulfilled through GIS.
Erosion Reduction Strategy – A natural calamity in one way or the other disrupts the soil profile and GIS helps with the analysis of terrain and suggests ways to reduce erosion.
Slope Parameters – GIS application helps in developing slope profiles such as convex and concave using 3D profile graphs providing an accurate and better perspective of the terrain.
Real Estate – GIS is used to explore and manipulate the relationships between different types of data, for example using a GIS to examine the location of alluvial flood plains and the locations of new housing estates can help to identify risks of flooding.
Salinity – GIS applications are used in mapping salinity with electromagnetic surveys to find the electrical conductivity in soils or integration of sensors in GIS system to receive real time reading.
Nutrient Management – Improving fertility of soil with efficient planning of agricultural practices to retain maximum amount of nutrients is another very important application of GIS.
Groundwater Availability – 3D GIS applications offer visualizing of current groundwater level in 3D helping keep a track of one of the major resources for mankind.
3D Borehole – Symbolizing sub-surface data like bore holes magnitude in 3D with option to show different types of soils in depth profile.
Stratigraphy – GIS enables users to plot boreholes, cross section and well logs by means of existing GPS data or generating one through GPS surveys or satellite imageries by means of digitization and performing analysis of the order and positions of the layers.
Features in Enterprise GIS
- Location of soil water retention infrastructure, etc.
- Irrigation network.
- Soil type and texture spatial database
- Topography data
- Weather information.
- Field report updates.
- Soil moisture and salinity values.
- Near real-time updates to user queries
- Weather alerts.
- Fertilizer use response system.
- Agriculture and farming practices.
- Crop selection and planning.
- Advanced analytics and report generation based on location information such as information regarding the expected soil moisture for a particular date and irrigation requirement for farming a particular crop.
- 3D Modelling of soil stratigraphy and bore well information system.